Now and Then

26 06 2013

So I don’t stay permanently behind, I’m going to show wool felt projects finished this month and for my March class.

I think I’ll use the LIFO method of inventory to determine order.  I just put the backing on the Dragonflies Penny Rug on Sunday.  The pattern is from Penny Lane Primitives.

Dragonfly-candlematJust a couple of note-worthy things on this project.  You won’t find the exact cream color I used for the background on this mat.  I started with Fresh Linen wool felt from National Nonwovens and tea dyed it.  I wadded up the felt and determined what size mixing bowl I could fit it into.  Then I took the felt out of the bowl, filled the bowl up with boiling water and seeped two bags of tea.  Once the tea was nice and dark, I removed the tea bags and shoved the felt in the bowl.  I did not agitate because I was hoping for mottled fabric.  Once I thought the wool was dark enough, I removed it from the bowl and rinsed.  Then I put it in the spin cycle of the washer, and finally dried it completely in the dryer.  Most of the projects I’ve shown previously, I’ve laid flat to dry.  So this background fabric is a little more pebbly than what I typically show.

The other thing worth noting,  the felt for the tails of the dragonflies was cut with a hole punch.  We’ve discussed using punches in class before, but this pattern called for the punch.  So much easier than cutting all those circles with scissors.

The second project was finished either at the very end of February or the first couple of days of March.  This  floss keeper was made from the Stitchery Set pattern by Bareroots.

floss-keeper-outsideI was in a huge hurry on this one, so you are seeing the wool felt as it came off the bolt.  I usually prewash for a softer feel.  The centers on the flower were loads of fun to make and super easy.  The buttons I used came from my grandmother’s stash, which of course means people in class couldn’t exactly duplicate.

The inside has three sheets of felt and rings to store floss for a current project.  A small pocket (I added stitching across the top of it before attaching) and a small pincushion.

floss-keeper-insideThe pattern has a large pincushion, scissor fob, and needle keep which I never got around to.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Actions

Information




%d bloggers like this: