Complementary — Take One

10 12 2007

After surviving last week I was finally ready to tackle my Complementary project on Saturday night.  I organized my blue-violet fabrics from light to dark and then just started cutting irregular strips and stitching them to a background.  I put fusible web on the back of my word on the yellow-orange fabric and then cut out the letters.  The letters were then fused to the background.  This is what the project looked like by the time I quit on Saturday night.  img_1956.jpg

I wasn’t unhappy with it at this point, but the word looked a little lost on the background.  I wanted to keep the gradation and include the very dark and the very light so I started toying with different ideas.

Sunday morning I got up and headed to the basement to exercise, but all the fabric from the night before was still out tempting me to play some more.  So I decided to go ahead and cut out my other idea for the complementary project using exactly the same fabrics.  I cut out all the squares and then I did exercise after sewing a few of the squares together.

Next for the day was a trip to Michaels where I picked up a few things to improve on the first project.  Almost as soon as we headed across town, Guy got a call about the shooting at the New Life church.  We did our errands and before we headed home he was paged out to the scene.  That gave me the rest of the evening to play.  I finished putting together the 2nd top and cut out my stencils for the words.  (I changed the words from my original idea.)

This morning after everyone else was out the door to school and work, it was back to the basement and using the Shiva paint sticks I stenciled the words on the second top.  It is doing its 24 hour cure now.  I’m not ready to show pictures of it yet.

This evening I made it back to the first project.   I cut an irregular shape on the bottom, added bead fringe, put ribbon tabs on the top for hanging and then painted a dowel from which to hang it.  This is a picture of the final product hot off the presses — in fact it is so hot the varnish on the dowel is still slightly tacky, but I wanted to see the finished project. img_1960.jpg

I’m actually pretty pleased with the end results.  I did not quilt this one and there is no batting between the layers.

It remains to be seen whether I will manage to finish the second project before class on the 19th.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

One response

11 12 2007
Suzanne

Oooooo….Sonya! I really like this. I love, love, love the curved bottom edge with the beads.

Great job!




%d bloggers like this: