The binding from yesterday wasn’t on a sample sandwich, it was a real quilt. I put this quilt on my A-1 over Christmas break and when my neck went it sat for months! Eventually I had a customer quilt I needed to do and finished this one to free up the machine. Almost five years ago our quilt group exchanged autumn colored 2.5 inch strips. I added a few more of my own. The directions for this quilt came from Debbie Caffrey’s Open a Can of Worms and is the Cobblestones pattern. I added 1″ sashing around the pieced strips and cornerstones to the border. Debbie’s book Open a Can of worms which uses 2-1/2 inch strips throughout was around long before I ever laid eyes on a Jelly Roll or a Bali Pop, but it has great patterns that will work with those products. Open Another Can of Worms also uses 2-1/2 inch strips.
For the quilting I did continuous curves in all the pieced squares and freehand feathers in the fabric strips between the pieced strips and in the borders. I did use a feather stencil to get an even spine, but the feather plumes are freehand.
I’m not terribly fond of browns and oranges, but once I added a lot of green, this quilt became more pleasing to me.
The completion of this quilt takes another one off my UFO list!